Training Calendar

My training week starts on Monday and runs through Sunday.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

KCCC Triathlon Tryout

Today, I had a tryout for the Cerner's Triathlon team for the Kansas City Corporate Challenge. We didn't do a swim leg but instead added and extra 4.5 miles on the bike to make up for it.

It was a little cloudy to start and it had been raining on and off throughout the day. But the temperature was good and the weather was almost perfect.

I showed up a little later than I wanted, so I didn't get a change to get all the way warmed up but I was still feeling pretty comfortable considering what I did yesterday. The bike course was 3 laps around Shawnee Mission Park. It spanned 13.59 miles. I averaged 20.2 mph. During lap 1, I was still warming up a little bit. Lap 2 went pretty smoothly though and I felt great the entire time. At the start of lap 3, the rain started coming down. I had to slow a bit down hills just to make sure I didn't lose traction or anything but I still kept a pretty good speed throughout.

The transition from bike to run took just over a minute so that was good.

To finish up, we had a 2.4 mile run to do. It was in my favorite kind of weather as well. The rain was really coming down now and I loved every minute of it. I ran 2.39 miles in 19:26 to complete the tryout. My total time was just a little over an hour.

This was only 1 of the 3 tryouts that they had so I can only compare myself to the people there, but I did really well. There was only 1 other person ahead of me on the bike but she slowed down tremendously in the rain and didn't even do the run course because of the lightning. I am pretty hopeful that I will be able to make the team as I didn't see anyone behind me during the bike course and I only saw another guy about a minute behind me on the run and he wasn't in my age division.

No comments:

Post a Comment